Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our security team uses a bicycle and a Segway as much as possible rather than using the gas vehicle.
- Our center has a recently implemented a new HVAC protocol that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint without impacting the shopping experience.
- We’ve started a new escalators protocol to sync with store opening and closing times allowing us to save energy and maintain a comfortable shopping experience.
- We’ve reduced water consumption by capping unused water lines and following a new sprinkler protocol.
- We’ve launched a recycling program for our retailers throughout the mall allowing them to recycle paper, plastic and other items. We also have a program allowing our retailers to recycle used metal fixtures.
- We utilize e-mail rather than paper, whenever possible.
- The center installed light motion detectors in all mall management offices and many storage areas to help conserve energy use.
- We use green cleaning products wherever, and, whenever possible.
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building