Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation. For more information click here.
What We’re Doing at Valley River Center
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our security team uses a bicycle and a Segway as much as possible rather than using the gas vehicle.
- Our center has a recently implemented a new HVAC protocol that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint without impacting the shopping experience.
- We’ve started a new escalators protocol to sync with store opening and closing times allowing us to save energy and maintain a comfortable shopping experience.
- We’ve reduced water consumption by capping unused water lines and following a new sprinkler protocol.
- We’ve launched a recycling program for our retailers throughout the mall allowing them to recycle paper, plastic and other items. We also have a program allowing our retailers to recycle used metal fixtures.
- We utilize e-mail rather than paper, whenever possible.
- The center installed light motion detectors in all mall management offices and many storage areas to help conserve energy use.
- We use green cleaning products wherever, and, whenever possible.
- See what OUR STORES are doing!